How did a Texas girl end up in the UK?
My husband and I moved our family to Germany quite a few years ago, to work with an international charity. After ten years there, we felt it was time to get back into an English-speaking environment but we didn't want to leave western Europe, so we moved to the UK. We love it here and now have dual British-American citizenship.
When I was a kid, we didn't have computers, mobile phones or even color television. But we had books, which I loved because they took me to faraway places. My two favorite books back then were 'The Secret Garden' by Frances Hogdson Burnett and 'The Princess and Curdie' by George Macdonald. When my own kids started reading I became a big fan of Roald Dahl.
Some things I like:
- eating popcorn and mint chocolate chip ice cream (not at the same time!)
- hiking in scenic places
- libraries - all those lovely books, which I can read for free
Some things I don't like:
- sitting still for very long (oops, not good for a writer)
- cleaning the kitchen floor
- having to remember what day it is, if I've got a story buzzing in my brain
What embarrassed me most as a kid:
- My feet. They were huge! I would tuck them under my desk at school because I was sure everyone was staring at them.