When I was a kid in Texas, we didn't have computers, mobile phones or even color television. But we had books, which I loved because they took me to faraway places. My two favorite books back then were "The Secret Garden" by Frances Hogdson Burnett and "The Princess and Curdie" by George Macdonald. When my own kids started reading I became a big fan of Roald Dahl. My top authors now include Frank Cottrell Boyce and Eva Ibbotson.
Some things I like:
- eating popcorn and mint chocolate chip ice cream (not at the same time!)
- hiking in scenic places
- libraries - all those lovely books, which I can read for free
Some things I don't like:
- sitting still for very long (oops, not good for a writer)
- cleaning the kitchen floor
- having to remember what day it is, if I've got a story buzzing in my brain
What embarrassed me most as a kid:
- My feet. They were huge! I would tuck them under my desk at school because I was sure everyone was staring at them.